2008 Volvo S60
2008 Volvo S60 Overview
Note: This review was created when the 2008 Volvo S60 was new.
Pros & Cons
- Full complement of safety features
- Handsome exterior and interior
- Performance is only adequate
- Seen as stale by some reviewers
The Volvo S60 score of 7.9 out of 10 is based on our evaluation of 65 pieces of research and data elements using various sources.
2008 Volvo S60 Pictures
2008 Volvo S60 Review
The 2008 Volvo S60 provides acceptable performance and attractive exterior styling, but it does not have the reputation for sporty performance like other upscale midsize cars.
The 2008 Volvo S60 is a very good sedan, and has one of the lowest MSRPs of the segment. But still the S60 is easily overlooked in a highly competitive class. Several reviews note this has to do with the car's age -- first introduced in 2000, the S60 experienced a slight refresh in 2004 but has never had an extensive redesign. Meanwhile top-ranked cars from Cadillac, Infiniti and Mercedes-Benz were redesigned or introduced for 2008.
The 2008 Volvo S60 is available in two trims, the 2.5T and the T5. The 2.5T is available with all wheel drive. Changes are minimal for the 2008 year, but the performance-oriented R trim has been dropped. If you're in the market for an upscale midsize car, consider the performance capabilities of the BMW 3-Series and its numerous trims.
- "The Volvo S60 combines excellent performance with outstanding safety features. Its interior is handsome, and the available leather has a high-quality look and feel." -- New Car Test Drive
- "An aging but still very attractive entry-luxury sedan. … The driving experience can be a bit bland, and the 'sporty' R model is dead, but the S60 still provides some value despite its lackadaisical driving experience." -- Car and Driver
- "Buy this vehicle if you appreciate tasteful styling and a unique look; you're looking for a sporty and luxurious sedan that's fun to drive and can comfortably seat four adults; you'd like to stand out from BMW and Mercedes Benz owners. Keep looking if you need space for five adults; blind spots make you antsy; you think only German luxury sedans have clout." -- Forbes
- "One of the things that kept running through my head all week was: 'This car definitely feels like it is worthy fifty thousand dollars,' something that a surprising number of competitors fall short of." -- Automobile.com